General Manager - Exeter Willand
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a General Manager to join our team at our depot in Willand, Exeter.
The role of General Manager takes a pivotal role in leading sustainable growth for the business by directing, supporting and developing people and delivering with your teams. Having demonstrated the capability and passion for the business; you will care about doing the right thing for customers. You show this everyday through confident delivery, tenacity for making things happen and determination to drive through change and improvement.
Reporting to: Regional Director
Health and safety
- Comply and manage all Health & Safety that relates to the welfare of others and self at all times in the depot and on site.
- Leading the team to comply with all Health & Safety, at all times in the depot and on site.
- Managing the depot and site Risk Assessment and Method Statements (R.A.M.S) adhering to the Health and Safety policies in the depot and on site at all times.
- Ensuring all colleagues have signed the relevant R.A.M.S according to their job description and duties in line with the company policies and procedures.
- Leading and ensuring the full compliance of Health & Safety audits. All recommended actions are completed within timescale.
- Actively complete the monthly General Manager Health and Safety Audits and next steps are actioned and completed within timescale.
- Regularly monitor the security of the depot.
- Ensuring the colleagues have the tools, training and confidence to do their job and be the best for our customers.
- Ensuring the best person is selected during recruiting.
- Leading and encouraging the training and development for all my colleagues, so everyone is qualified for the role they do.
- All training is accessible, and training is completed with the correct timescale.
- All new starters are inducted correctly within timescales. All their training requirements are reported to the Training Manager in a timely manner in line with the training matrix.
- To be open and willing to learn, stretch and develop myself and in doing so develop the business.
- To confidently give balanced data-based feedback to build capability, energise and enable performance.
- Looking after the welfare of my colleagues.
- Ensuring any customer enquiries or complaints are dealt with professionally and in a timely manner.
- Leading my team to put customers first and understand the importance of being the best locally and nationally.
- Having confidence in my role to successfully coach and build my team’s capability to give excellence service.
- Building relationships and trust with my customers and lead my team to do the same.
- Continually deliver great customer service, representative of the depot and company, by making decisions that are right for our customers by understanding who they are and providing the right range, accurate pricing and quality products.
- Liaising with customers and suppliers over the phone and/or on site when required.
- There is a strong business strategy in place that supports the delivery of positive growth. This is reviewed and updated as necessary to deliver my commitment, ensuring they are in line with budget.
- Cost Controls are adhered to and deliver targeted profit growth in line with sales plan.
- Successfully utilising my depot, sales and field sales teams to support, build, implement and monitor the sales strategy.
- Successful delivery of sales, damage recharges, workshop costs, transport profit and overall profitability.
- The team are well trained and are held to account to deliver for customers.
- Ensuring the team inspects every piece of equipment before leaving the depot and monthly stock checks are carried out.
- Ensuring the depot is safe and legal by passing the relevant audits.
- Ensure the delivery of tool box talks within 48 hours of head office notification.
- As an asset manager the stock is utilized, managed and maintained. The stock is repaired and recharged (where applicable) and is completed on time and in accordance with the quality manual.
- All quotes are logged on InspHire.
- All stock sent to other depots is in a hirable condition.
How I Do It
- I know my competitors and have plans in place to combat any impacts.
- I continually review my team’s objectives and personal development plans and hold them accountable to deliver their roles.
- I lead by example and have a personal development plan based on my coaching and data-based feedback that addresses my behavioural and technical needs.
- I hold weekly team meetings to guarantee my team are focussed on depot issues and my team implement and review activities on time. The next steps of these meetings will be passed onto my Regional Director.
- I actively get to know my teams through regular informal 1-2-1’s discussing what’s gone well and where the opportunities are, as well as general “how are you?” chats.
- I create a culture for my team to have fun at work and enjoy being part of a team who cares about the success of our depot.
- I lead the delivery of completion of annual and the interim colleague appraisals.
- I maintain regular contact with the Head Office team, assisting with customer and supplier queries, fleet management and cost control as and when required
- I collaboratively work with other depots, passing orders on for their areas and providing assistance as and when required, either in person or over the phone.
- I don’t encroach on another depots patch.
- I do ensure the fluid movement of available equipment.
- I attend, participate and contribute in all meetings and training sessions.
- I always comply with and uphold the company policies and procedures.
- Undertaking any additional tasks as may reasonably be required from time to time
I know I’ve done a great job if:
- I lead the Business Plan and sustain core activity.
- I am building the brand and my depot is highly valued by my customers and colleagues.
- I listen to my team and take action for improvement year on year.
- I achieve a balanced depot performance through continuous improvement.
It is a requirement of Pickerings that all colleagues work in a flexible manner compatible with their job and in line with the objectives of the company.
Please note that the job description for this position may be reviewed and amended to incorporate the future needs of the business.
- Competitive Salary
- Holiday buy back scheme
- 25 days holiday per year plus statutory bank holidays
- Company pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
Job Type: Full time
To apply please click here
Pickerings is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, sex, age, physical or mental disability.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES:
Any unsolicited CV’s will be sent at the recruitment agency’s own risk and will be interpreted as ‘gifts’ and we have no liability to you for any fee or otherwise. We reserve the right to engage with candidates directly having not, in any way, entered into your terms and conditions for this vacancy. By submitting an unsolicited CV to us, or to any member of our staff, you accept these terms as the default position. If we require your assistance with any vacancy we will contact you.